POSITION TITLE: MMVWB Youth Counselor
REPORTS TO: MassHire MVWB Youth Workforce Program Manager
JOB GRADE: 4 (non-union)
HIRING RANGE: Mid to High $40,000’s
The Youth Counselor will be a key team member in implementing the wide array of MassHire Merrimack Valley Workforce Board (MMVWB) programs available for area youth. Under the supervision of the MassHire MVWB Youth Workforce Program Manager, the Youth Counselor will work collaboratively with MMVWB and MassHire Merrimack Valley Career Center (MMVCC) staff to strengthen and improve innovative Merrimack Valley workforce development youth initiatives while implementing them with schools, partners and employers for the benefit of youth. The Youth Counselor will build on excellent relations with partners and employers to maximize the effectiveness and value of youth programs. The Youth Counselor will improve the life prospects of enrolled youth by providing college and career guidance and job referrals. The Youth Counselor will assist the MassHire MVWB in attaining stated contractual outcomes.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Youth Counselor will be an integral part of the MMVWB team providing career readiness activities and access to occupational skills training and work opportunities for in-school and out-of-school youth. This position will primarily, but not exclusively, focus on implementing the Connecting Activities in-school youth program, and the YouthWorks Summer subsidized work program. As new programs are developed and funded, the Youth Counselor may be integrated into their implementation as well.
The Counselor’s main responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Providing career exploration, job seeking skills, and job readiness workshops, often in area high schools. Workshops content will come from existing curriculum and staff developed lesson plans
- Counseling/coaching individual youth as they develop career plans and prepare for employment or post-secondary education
- Coordinating and assisting in leading career development activities such as industry panels or company tours
- Facilitating work opportunities for youth, including
- coordination with MMVWB and MMVCC staff
- compiling youth work applications
- connecting with employers, compiling worksite agreements, designing internships, and coordinating placements
- assisting youth in navigating and learning from work experience.
- Case management, including:
- Outreach, recruitment, assessment and enrollment
- Coaching participants during training
- Assisting with job placement
- Providing retention services
- Data entry, filing, and ensuring confidentiality
- Arranging teacher externships
- Assisting with data entry and overall file upkeep in employer, participant and program databases.
- Being a team player to ensure all task related to implementing MMVWB programs are completed to ensure success.
The Youth Counselor may also be asked to perform other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor. Duties may be performed during evenings and weekends when key program delivery events are taking place, and the Youth Counselor must have availability during these times.
The preferred candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree. This may be substituted with four (4) or more years of related, and increasingly responsible experience working with diverse youth populations in organized activities or programs. The individual should have good “people skills” and be confident in engaging and motivating youth. Previous experience with youth programming and workshop facilitation a plus. Good verbal and written communication skills are required. Candidates should have high computer proficiency, especially with Excel and database entry and reporting. Must demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work in a team. Must have own transportation and be willing to travel throughout the Merrimack Valley. Available to work flexible work hours is required. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus. Must pass a CORI check.
POSTING DATE: Thursday, October 3, 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled – Priority Given to those who apply within the first three weeks of this posting.
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME TO: Beverly Stopyra, Human Resources/Quality Assurance Manager
MassHire Merrimack Valley Workforce Board
255 Essex St., 4th Floor
Lawrence, MA 01840
PLEASE SUBMIT COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO: email@example.com
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY